Monday 23 April 2007

Must be the night for Blogging - iTunes & Vista

Well part three of my early encounters with Vista has lead me to quickly post about using iTunes with it. I have been using Vista for three days now and on neither day have I been able to connect to the iTunes music store and auth my music. I kept getting: "Connection attempt to Apple web site was successful. Connection attempt to iTunes Store was successful. Secure connection attempt to iTunes Store was unsuccessful. An unknown error occurred (-9808)." However tonight I decided to try and fix it, first I disabled my firewall just to check that wasn't blocking it, even though iTunes is an exception and it still err'd. I then decided to reactivate it and restart the service. Lo and behold it worked and now all my lovely iTunes purchases are back ;) So if you get this problem try restarting the Vista Firewall.

3 comments:

jluros said...

Sweet. Thanks for the tip. Strange, though. This worked for me as well. It seems like Firewall is letting the unsecured connection through, but not the secured one. The secured connection must be on another port which Firewall is not letting through. Perhaps it's a different executable?

slwright said...

same error, but on xp SP2, using norton. have checked computer firewall (not being used), norton firewall (itunes is set to "allow"), computer time and date, and tried downloading certificates recommended by itunes. any advice?

Michael James said...

hi slwright, have you tried temporarily disabling norton firewall, does it work then? If this is the case then Norton needs training again. I believe there's a training mode which should make it re-detect all ports being used.

Let us know how you get on