Monday 22 October 2007

The problem with the XBox 360

Why is it when you have a great product, say an Xbox 360 , which is great by the way, the games, XBox live arcade, need i go on... Theres always a drawback / something which makes you feel robbed... That's right the Media settings, why is it that you can either use the Windows Media Extender functionality or pair it to a Windows PC with the Media Sharing setup. This in my opinion sucks. So ok the Media Center extender functionality is tied to Media Center / Vista, that's bearable but why make it so that a remote device has to be a windows pc! Some of us in the world have Network attached storage, some of us even manage to get their NAS device, which in my case is a nice Linksys NLU2, which ill post about another time, to run an iTunes Media server... Sweet but oh no the XBox 360 does not count this as a device. Which means I'm still unable to play my beloved music collection downstairs with out my laptop. It's even worse when you think I have purchased a fiar few albums and tracks on iTunes, including the The The Hoosier's The Trick To Life and New Young Pony Club's Fantastic Playroom albums recently as part of a birthday gift. and I can't play them anywhere I need to :(

So whats the solution?

Well for one Microsoft will allow the XBox to connect to a normal network share, its not even a complicated Apple or Linux only share, its SAMBA! This will at least allow me to play my MP3s and CD's I have ripped into my computer. The next stage would be for the XBox to connect to a iTunes music share. Now I know Apple are keeping their DRM tech under wraps but for the good of the consumer media devices, which the 360 definitely is, must be able to talk to others and not be tied in to specific brands and technologies. I think we as consumers put up with far too much of this "tied in" attitude. I'm not going to go into the whole DRM debate as this will turn into an essay and not a blog post, but things need to be better supported, cross-platform.

Ideas

One Idea I have had is to write an add on to Media Center, which you can do in Vista although I'm not sure if this then shows up on the XBox? Any know for sure? Which accesses your iTunes and allows you to change its tracks / see whats on, you could then in theory stream your directx output from iTunes to your XBox. This as a concept sucks as your then tying up your PC but it may be a temp solution. Of course getting your XBox to talk to a network share or even an iTunes server would be truly amazing but we will wait and see on that one.

5 comments:

Richard Whitehouse said...

Why not just plug your iPod into your Xbox and hey presto. Music!


Noob! ;-)

Michael James said...

well i have looked into that, but even if you have a working iPod, which I currently don't, you are still unable to play iTunes Store music as the XBox can't played non Media Player DRM'd music.

This is bad for the consumer and shouldn't be allowed to be the case.

Thanks for your comment though, I did neglect the option of being able to plug an MP3 player or iPod into the 360

Derek Fowler said...

Microsoft are listed as one of the members of the DLNA.

I'd be interested to see whether the XBox 360 will stream media off a DLNA-compliant server (e.g. Windows Media Player 11) or whether it is restricted to Windows Media Center PCs. It would be an oddity if it is Media Center only, particularly as the PS3 is a DLNA-compliant player so would happily stream from WMP11.

Also, I assume by Apple's absence from the DLNA list that iTunes Server is not DLNA-compliant.

Anonymous said...

you should be able to put music on the 360 and have it integrate within the games

www.assasinpad.com

Anonymous said...

The XBox will ONLY stream from a Windows-based system like Media Center OR WMP 11. This is because, even thought MS have built a functioning UPnP stack (the basis for DLNA) into the xbox, they've then crippled it by hard coding the content ids of the expected "directory" structures (Artists, Albums, etc) as found in WMP into the firmware rather than discovering them from the storage device. Shoddy.