Saturday 22 November 2008

Windows Vista + Loosing the Ability to Hibernate

I'm one of the few people I know that use the Hibernate feature on my laptop. I find its helpful when shutting down for the evening but want to resume exactly where I left off the next day. Sleep even S3 doesn't work for me as I often find my battery depletes as on this laptop it is shockingly poor.


The other day I was performing some basic maintainence and decided to run disk cleanup to see if it was any better than XP's counterpart, it ran well and asked me would I like to remove my hibernate file. This is where my troubles began, I expected the file to be recreated upon my next hibernate, however what did happen was hibernate ceased to exist on my start menu.


After much hunting through the Control Panel I was unable to find a definitive option to renable the hibernate file, power options was all setup to hibernate however I was still unable to hibernate. I then found a simple command line setting you need to run to renable it, or even turn it off if that is your desire.


First open a command prompt window in administrative mode, its annoying when you forget to do this, then simply run the following: powercfg -H ON. The -H switch indicates hibernate and then its a simple on off. And that's it Hibernate restored and my laptop is back to it's normal self, good stuff.

No comments: