Thursday 1 March 2007

Houston we have a Problem :S

This evening I fell victim to another grand M$ cock up. I decided to clean install xp on another drive, as my exisiting one is getting chuggy and with the GameOn Lan starting tomorrow evening I wanted my PC to be in 100% form. I thought what the hell lets chuck on Office incase I need to get to any of my work and can't be bothered to reboot. I chucked in the disc, fired up as usual, 3rd time I've installed Office 2007 and I have never had a problem until tonight. "The windows installer service cannot update one or more protected windows files." Three characters came to mind W T F! I had never seen this error before so tried again, no joy, rebooted, no joy, tried a different CD Drive, no joy. :( I then decided to check our friends over at Developer Fusion and Thushan Fernando had the answer. It was missing a file. A file, a stupid file that shouldnt have existed after a clean boot. Now this puzzles me as a) why not just install the file, b) its a stupid error and c) they have had this problem since office 2000 How crazy is this, why hasn't this bug been cured yet, it baffles me. Any way if you stumple onto this post because you have this same error do the following: Simple, download a copy of the missing file fp4autl.dll from DllDump, place it into the c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\web server extensions\40\bin\ folder and retry installation. Sorted

No comments: